Over 100 Reasons Why Sunny Rock Bed & Breakfast is More Than the Average B&B!
The Sunny Rock Bed and Breakfast
- Is an adult bed and breakfast getaway for you and/or your group;
- Offers sights and sounds of moving water year round;
- Helping you to build your personal experiences and adventures or set your own pace for activity and adventures;
- Becomes the dream cottage environment of your own;
- Is conveniently located two and a half hours drive north of Toronto;
- Situated in the heart of the Haliburton Highlands near the villages of Minden, Haliburton and Kinmount;
- Is rich in Finnish history;
- Is hidden away at the end of a country road on the picturesque shores of the Drag River, Canning Lake and the flowing waters of The Scott’s Dam.
Sunny Rock Bed and Breakfast Accommodation
- Is casually decorated with your comfort in mind;
- Luxury accommodation with ensuite or private bathrooms;
- Some rooms with walk out decks overlooking the breath taking view of the river;
- 2 bed side tables with reading lamps in each room;
- Some river or falls view and treetop suites with fireplaces, steam showers/whirlpool soaker tub.
- Boasts of the only rentable accommodation with Steam showers;
- Sitting area in each room with reading lamps;
- Have anywhere from 2 to 10 windows in each bedroom
Treetop suite is a room which has windows on all four sides of the room;
- Each room has a dead bolt lock;
- Keys are available (with deposit) for each bed room;
- Can request a TV/VCR/DVD for your bedroom;
- IPOD Dock available upon request;
- Short story books for the mature audience in each room;
- Literature of area attractions;
Breakfast & Other Meals (*some additional fees may apply)
- Delicious tempting full Breakfast each morning;
- We ask you what time you wish to have breakfast each morning;
- We prepare your choice of sweet or savory breakfasts;
- Kawartha Dairy ice cream 30 minute walk away,10 minute drive, 1 hour paddle;
- Option for “breakfast in the buff” (we serve you breakfast in your room);
- We will prepare for you a bag lunch* for your daytime activities;
- Seasonally we offer “house dinners*”;
- Romantic fine dining* can be requested;
- A kitchenette allows you to prepare your own meals;
- A BBQ is available.
- Group exclusive rental packages available;
- “We Cook”, “You Cook”, “They Cook” meal options;
- suitable for romantic getaways, corporate events, fund-raisers, weddings, murder mysteries, reunions or other special occasions you create;
- Small groups can rent our facility for an intimate daytime or evening party, no accommodation required.
Facility and surroundings
- Gentle sounds & incredible views of river life & nature
- Combination of history and contemporary décor;
- Huge historical log building once the main Lodge of a popular resort;
- Two Large pine timberframe additions to the property;
- Sunroom & living room fireplaces;
- 25 window sunroom overlooking a falls and waterway;
- kitchenette, use of BBQ, micro wave, convection oven, fridge;
- comfortable seating on the huge decks with relaxing breezes
- Canoes, kayaks, paddle boat & boat available with all PFD and safety equipment;
- Seasonal natural whirlpool & lake swimming against a current;
- experience our natural whirlpool with “safety first instructions”.
- lake swimming is either in calm or current water with “safety first instructions”;
- Satellite TV available in the living room and the sunroom;
- 300 VCRs loaner library;
- 100 DVDs loaner library;
- 25 indoor games in the games closet;
- outdoor lawn games available;
- player piano with 350 singable piano rolls from the 1940-80;
- a separate building for accommodation for 6 adults;
- ramp access to the lodge and the pine studio;
- moderately suitable bathrooms for persons with disabilities in common areas of both buildings (please ask us);
- quantities of high ball and wine glasses for parties up to 100 people;
- library of large print and regular pocket books for in house loan;
- campfire area & all the wood required for an evening campfire;
- brown trout, pickerel or bass fishing right from our dock;
- Challenging mind teasing games placed throughout the lodge;
- “what’s its?” all over the Lodge for your guessing enjoyment.
Sunny Rock Service & Hospitality
- Daily newspaper delivery;
- When possible 5:30 p.m. happy hour light beverage package;
- Hot and cold beverage service;
- 24 hour hot and cold beverages;
- In room spa services* by reservation;
- concierge service & hospitality;
- we will supervise swims for your safety at your request and when possible;
- Dial-up internet access available for short intervals;
- first hand knowledge of the 5 local golf courses;
- discount program at local restaurants;
- 45 min historical walking tour of the area;
- staff who are prepared to clean up after your party (a light fee may apply);
- iron and ironing board available;
- When you wish we take your picture overlooking the falls and prepare a picture you take home;
- Our infamous “Sunny Rock Ripple”.
Special packages unique to the Sunny Rock Bed and Breakfast
*Ask us about the Winter Lottery Bump up;
- Seasonal and package specials email to you monthly;
- Personalized Gift Certificates available for any occasion;
- multi day discounts…see our cottage plan;
- we can informally teach you how to play golf practice time at a driving range and hands on experience at a 9 hole golf course;
- 1, 2 and 4 hour cushy canoe trips available;
- canoe instruction when time allows;
- your Special events planning;
- “Ripple Effect” free weekend available to returning guests;
- Subscribers “free weekend giveaway contest”.
- House Dinners on arrival night of a multiple night reservation while snow is on the ground;
Local events and Attractions of the Haliburton Highlands
- restaurants within 5-20 minutes;
- Consult our calendar of events for the Many interesting and unique local events & activities;
- Offering a cottage country feeling & opportunity for outdoor adventures;
- canoeing, kayaking, hiking, biking trails all close;
- 5 local golf courses within a 20 minute drive;
- Set your own pace for adventure while visiting the Haliburton Highlands, Ontario, Canada;
- Snowdon Park wetland trails;
- Sunny Rock B&B is close to the Haliburton Forest and Wild Life Reserve, the Wolf Centre, Minden Wild Water Preserve, Algonquin Park, Highlands Cinema, Winterdance dog sledding and fishing, Haliburton School of the Arts or take in an evening of community theatre at the Highlands Summer Festival.
- your home away from home with the service of experienced hosts;
- Follows all the standards required of an eco-lodge;
- Federation of Ontario Bed & Breakfast Accommodation member;
- We host 12 community fundraisers a year;
- Give away 10 free certificates for service or accommodation for fundraising purposes annually;
- Back road walking close by;
- Nature galore: 2 beavers, Harriet the Blue Heron and her mate, the sounds of the loon, Oscar the Osprey entertain daily;
- Ace the friendly Labradoodle welcomes you.
Even our History is a Story to tell!
The original log building on the property, was a private cottage with a screened porch overlooking the Scott’s Dam Falls, built in 1928. By 1934 the log structure had grown in size to 4000 square feet for accommodation and the dining room of a small intimate resort. Known as The Sunny Rock Villa this thriving Finnish family resort ran until 1950.
From 1950 to 1985 the property ran as The Sunny Rock Lodge, and during this time was well known as a resort and dining facility. Following a couple of years of no occupancy in 1987 “The Lodge” once again became a private residence.
The present hosts, Sally & Jan, purchased the Lodge in 1995. Following extensive upgrades and additions the name of the former lodge once again hangs proudly over the fireplace. Since then the Sunny Rock Bed & Breakfast reputation and success has grown each year.
In 1998 The Moore Pine Studio, a timberframe structure, affectionately known as “The studio” was built by a team of very talented men employed by Diezel Woodworks of Minden Ontario. Our guests have hosted weddings, commitment ceremony, anniversaries, birthdays, wakes, annual general meetings, fund-raisers, surprise parties, wedding and baby showers, family reunions, murder mystery dinner parties, corporate BBQ’s and Christmas parties, workshops, art exhibits etc.
The Studio was created and so named as “a calm creative space for gathering friends and family”. This building is dedicated with a plaque in honour of Sally’s late Mum and Dad, Phyllis and A.J Moore formerly of Winnipeg, Montreal, Lachute Quebec and Oakville Ontario.
The Studio can also be set up as a very special romantic retreat and is able to accommodate up to 4 people.
In April 2004, the Diezel Woodworks timberframe team built an addition to the Lodge which added (2200 square feet) a sunroom and 2 bedroom suites overlooking the Drag River and the Scott’s Dam Falls.
Today the B and B facility, affectionately known to its guests as, “The Lodge”, and the party building called, “The Studio”, together provide approximately 9000 square feet of luxury living. This exquisite facility is suitable for any special occasion you can imagine. Small groups can rent our full facility for an exclusive and intimate party. You need only to create the occasion! Let us help you plan your special event.
You must see this incredible facility to believe it.
Call us, ask your questions
and make your reservations TODAY!